Saturday, August 6, 2011

He's Always Been Faithful

Yesterday, I went down to Atlanta to celebrate the birthday of my sweet sister and one of my dearest friends from college.  I'm so thankful to have both of you in my life.  

While I was visiting, my sister recommended that I listen to the story about The Stark Family on the Bert Show website.  This family adopted 6 special needs kids.  If their life wasn't hard enough, the wife recently died of a stroke.  The father is unemployed and has to dedicate his entire life to raising these children on very little money.  It's an incredible story.  Recently I have been thinking a lot about suffering, as I have seen family and friends go through various trials.  Sometimes, in light of everyones problems it is difficult to understand how God is good.  And how Romans 8:28 ("And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose") could possibly be true.  As I have watched friends struggle at work, loosing their loved ones, difficulty finding employment, having trouble getting pregnant, and troubling finances I have often had to question, "Lord, why is this better?  How is this for their good?"

Well, on my ride home this song came on  Sara Groves- He's Always Been Faithful . (Click on that link... it is definitely worth listening to).  It spoke directly into many of the things I have been thinking about.   I really like the part when she says: "I can't remember a trial or a pain He did not recycle to be me gain".  It's helpful or me to remember His faithfulness to me and to my friends and family. And just because He is faithful doesn't mean all of the problems will go away and life will be perfect... His faithfulness means that He is using these trials for our ultimate gain. That's enough for me today.

In light of that improvement in perspective for me, I was thrown a curveball on my way home. As some of you may know I was a habitual speeder in the past. And because of my past speeding and multiple tickets, I have become a faithful cruise-control-setter.  Well, to my shock, I was pulled over and given a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 55. My cruise was set for 59.. and I checked it right before I was pulled over. I am 100% sure I wasn't going any faster than 60mph.  But that is a 25 mph over speeding ticket which will be a "Super Speeder" ticket if I am convicted in court.  Wyatt and I calculated what that could cost us in fees, extras fees, and increased insurance rates... over $1,000 in the next 3 years.  So needless to say... we are a little stressed, but claiming God's faithfulness.  Even if I can't get the ticket dismissed, He is still faithful and will bring us great gain from this trial.  

The following verses have been so helpful in remembering God's goodness in all of our circumstances:

Hebrews 12:10b-12 - God disciplines us for our good, in that we may share in his holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.  Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.  

1 Corinthians 4:3-4 - I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

1 Peter 4:12-13,15-16 - Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed... But let none of you suffer as a murdered or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.

God is good... not in spite of our circumstance, He is good because of our circumstances.  Even the hard ones are for our benefit and ultimate joy in Christ. We have much to praise Him for and much to trust Him with.  


1 comment:

  1. Just to follow up about my speeding ticket... I had court today and I was super nervous!! But again, of course, God was faithful. Why am I so quick to forget His faithfulness? Instead of getting a guilty sentence for 25 over, I plead guilty to an ordinance violation... which means it won't be reported to insurance or on my driving record. And if that weren't enough, they made a mistake with my fine that ended up saving me $25! So Wyatt took me to brunch :)

    1 John 3:20-22 "For whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from him..."

    ReplyDelete